Student Visa Process Information

Student Visa Process

In order to study in the United States, international students must obtain a student visa. Providence College will issue the Form I-20, which you will need in order to obtain a student visa. The process of obtaining the I-20 form from Providence College is as follows:

In order to be admitted to Providence College, must submit:

  • Common Application and supporting academic credentials
  • Proof of English proficiency
  • Copy of your passport photo/biographical page
  • Current bank statements (generated within the past 90 days)
  • International Student Certification of Finances (with supporting bank statement or letter)
  • CSS PROFILE (if applying for need-based financial aid)

In order to enroll at Providence College upon being admitted, you must submit:

  • The Enrollment Response Form (on the Admission Status Portal)
  • The $700.00 enrollment fee, which can be sent in U.S. funds via check, bank transfer, or through our TransferMate online system
  • International Student Transfer Form (for students currently holding an F-I Visa)

By late May, Providence College requires:

  • A copy of your Passport Identification Page (clearly copied or scanned)
  • An updated Certification of Finances, showing coverage for the cost of a full year of attendance minus any Providence College grant or scholarship
  • Updated, current bank statements demonstrating the availability of the required funds from each sponsoring individual (student, family member, organization, etc.)

Upon receipt of the above, Providence College will issue your I-20 and send it to your home address. We are not able to scan and send the form or SEVIS number electronically. This process can take multiple weeks to complete. Once you have received the I-20, you may login to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) submit the required I-901 form and fee. You will then be able to make an appointment with the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States website provides information on how to make your American Embassy or Consulate appointment, as well as how to prepare for your interview.

Should you have questions about this process, please contact the International Recruitment Team at